For many years, non-loadbearing external cladding systems have been used to increase the thermal performance of multi-storey residential tower blocks and their lifespan. Increasingly, these systems are being used in new builds with the cladding systems being fixed to and supported by, a light steel frame and a wide range of design solutions and materials are currently available.
The risk of fire spread in multi-storey buildings is an issue of concern, and recent fires have continued to highlight this. External cladding systems have the potential to quickly spread fire through a multi-storey building causing potential loss of life and extensive property damage.
In a friendly small-sized class, our expert tutor will introduce you to basic fire dynamics, the mechanisms of external fire spread around tall buildings, third party testing and approvals and how they differ, cladding applications and generic systems currently in use. You’ll gain an understanding of BS 8414-1, BS 8414-2 and BR135 and their relationship with Approved Document B (including the December 2018 amendments).
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand how fire spreads around a building both internally and externally
- Clearly appreciate the current legislation related to external walls
- Recognise the significant standards relating to cladding and fire safety (BS 8414-1:2015, BS 8414-2:2015, BR135)
- Understand and navigate third-party testing and certification
- Identify cladding applications and systems currently in use
- Understand what to look for when inspecting a system during and post-construction
Is it right for me?
This training course is aimed at anyone who’s involved in the design, installation, and inspection of cladding systems, including installers, specifiers, architects and architectural technicians, project managers, building control officers, safety inspectors, insurers, fire risk assessors, fire professionals and facilities managers.
A discount of 20% is available for LPCB approved companies for the second and subsequent places. Please contact us for your discount code.
We recommend that you have a basic prior understanding of construction.
- Fire and fire dynamics
- Testing and approvals
- External fire spread in tall buildings
- Cladding applications and systems
- Testing standards and performance criteria
The course concludes with a short multiple-choice test that includes questions on all topics covered. This is a great way to demonstrate your new knowledge and identify further learning that you may require.
Learners who completed this
After successfully completing this course you may want to register for our forthcoming Level 3 Award in Fire Door Inspection or choose one of our other recognised qualifications, such as our Level 3 Foundation in Passive Fire Protection, our Level 4 Diploma in Fire Risk Assessment. Alternatively, you can broaden your professional knowledge through our other fire safety training courses.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Comprehensive course notes and materials
- Lunch included and refreshments always available
- Small class sizes
- Free on-site parking and easy motorway access
- CPD certificate on completion
Let us come to you
Like this course, and think it’d be great for your team? We’ll deliver any of our courses at your office, or create a course just for you. Talk to us to ensure your team get the expert training they need.
More Fire Courses
Wireless Fire Detection – A Solution For Prisons?
A video recording of Steve Manchester presenting at the BRE Fire Conference in Watford in 2016.
Characterisation Of The Fire Issues Associated With Mobility Scooters
Level 3 Fire Door Inspection
Evaluation Of Fire Performance Through Real Fire Incident Data
A video recording of Dr David Crowder presenting at the BRE Fire Conference in Watford in 2016.