Building information modelling (BIM) is transforming construction. Our BIM essentials course is your stepping stone to project success and progress towards BIM Certification.
This comprehensive online training course provides an overview of information management using BIM following the new international standard (ISO 19650 parts 1 and 2).
Delivered in structured modules, you’ll explore the key terminology used when describing BIM and the activities which form the information management function. Our BIM expert tutor will guide you and ensure that on completion you’re equipped and ready to realise the benefits of BIM within your own organisation.
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Articulate information management processes using international terminology.
- Explain to others the value proposition of Information Management using BIM.
- Feel confident in outlining the key elements of the BIM process.
- Understand how information is produced based on your project’s information standards, production methods and procedures.
- Identify the key stakeholders to help support tasks associated with the information management function.
- Adopt these processes within your organisation.
- Discuss international information standards relating to openBIM and interoperability.
Is it right for me?
This online course is suitable for construction and asset management professionals (including designers, constructors, project managers, asset managers, manufacturers, information managers and maintenance contractors). As a detailed introduction to BIM, it’s suitable for those implementing BIM into their organisation, their own work practices, or assisting their clients or supply chains with BIM adoption.
We recommend you have a general awareness and familiarity with BIM. If you’re looking for a concise overview of BIM or are entirely new to BIM, try our BIM Awareness online training course first.
There is no pre-reading required for this training course.
Module 1: The Basics of BIM
- Unit 1 – Catalyst for Change
- Unit 2 – What is BIM
Module 2: The Essentials of ISO 19650
- Unit 1 – Introduction to ISO 19650
Assessment and need
- Unit 2 – Information procurement
Invitation to tender
- Unit 3 – Information planning
- Unit 4 – Information production
Information model delivery
Module 3: The essentials of BIM best practice
- Unit 1 – Information management functions
Information management requirements
Defining information management functions
Appointing party functions
Lead appointed party information functions
Task information functions
- Unit 2 – Best practice standard, methods and procedures (SMPs)
The course concludes with a short online exam test that includes questions on all topics covered. This is a great way to demonstrate your new knowledge and identify further learning that you may require.
Learners who completed this
After successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to progress to our BIM ISO 19650 Information Management training course and then on to apply for the BRE BIM Certification status.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion
Prefer to learn with others?
Also available in a bundle
More BIM Courses
BIM ISO 19650 Bundle: BIM essentials and information management (online)
Building information modelling (BIM) is transforming construction, and skills are in high demand. Our BIM ISO 19650 bundle offers the fastest and most cost-effective path towards your BIM Certification.
BIM ISO 19650 Delivering information management (online)
This six-hour course forms Stage 2 of the BRE BIM Certification education pathway and is for professionals who undertake Information Management functions.
BIM ISO 19650 Essentials (online)
This online course provides an overview of information management using BIM as outlined in ISO 19650 parts 1 and 2.
BIM for Manufacturing
This webinar from BRE explains how BIM data can benefit the manufacturing process for manufacturers, designers, constructors and operators.