BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings, and addresses construction at all stages. It is the world’s longest established method of assessing, rating, and certifying the sustainability of buildings.
This comprehensive training course has been designed to allow suitably experienced construction professionals who have a good knowledge of environmental design and the design process to deliver new construction and refurbishment buildings to meet BREEAM.
The BREEAM AP qualification enables you to work across the relevant BREEAM schemes as a recognised sustainability professional and champion.
On this training course you’ll learn the role of the AP and understand what a development needs to do in order to meet BREEAM targets and sustainability goals. You’ll learn how to facilitate projects teams to schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate the trade-offs required to achieve the target BREEAM rating when the development is formally assessed.
On successful completion of this training course, you’ll be eligible to apply for a BREEAM AP subscription. As a BREEAM AP, you can help and advise developments to achieve up to six BREEAM credits (dependent on the types of schemes).
The qualification and annual membership recognise an individual’s ability to provide expert advice on how projects should achieve their sustainability goals and performance.
After successfully completing this course, you can become a BREEAM AP and be able to help a project to achieve its BREEAM targets and maximise opportunities for project performance. Specifically, you will be able to:
- Encourage an integrated design and construction process
- Use BREEAM as a framework to establish, agree and achieve the desired level of sustainability performance for a development
- Provide expert advice to the design team using the principles of environmental sustainability, environmental design and the environmental assessment process
- Offer design advice
- Facilitate the design team’s efforts by providing key input throughout the design process
- Schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate trade-offs
- Target BREEAM rating at formal assessment in the most cost-effective way
Is it right for me?
This online training course is suitable for architects, engineers and others with demonstrable design skills and responsibilities who want to specialise in BREEAM.
You’ll need to either hold a recognised academic or vocational qualification in a relevant built environment discipline or have at least three years post graduate (or equivalent) professional experience working in a role covering the sustainability of the built environment.
Ideally, you’ll have had design team involvement on a number of projects where sustainability was part of the project brief. You should be able to demonstrate knowledge of environmental design/integrated design with an appreciation of life cycle assessment and cost analysis.
Licensed BREEAM Assessors are eligible for a discount on this course. Please enter the code BREEAMAP2020ONLINE as part of your booking.
We offer 15% discount (for full fee-paying delegates) applicable to all RIBA, CIAT and CIBSE members.
This is a comprehensive online training course delivered in modules followed by an online examination.
The online training modules cover:
- Module 1 – BREEAM overview, basics of BREEAM and roles within the scheme, its aims and principles, scope of assessments and history timeline
- Module 2 – looks at key issues within BREEAM UK New Construction
- Module 3 – looks at key issues within BREEAM International New Construction
- Module 4 – looks at site-based work during construction
- Module 5 – more detailed review on:
- Roles and responsibilities
- Sustainable construction
- How BREEAM works
- Design team responsibilities
- Basic approach for BREEAM assessments
- Whole-life Value; Collaboration; Importance of Timing
- Relationship between the different BREEAM schemes
- Comparison on costs per percentage point basis
- BREEAM PI Insurance
- Module 6 – associated information documentation
- Examination information
In order to become a BREEAM AP, you’ll need to pass an online 60-minute multiple choice examination at the end of the online modules.
Learners who completed this
After successfully completing this online training courses, you’ll be able to apply for your subscription to practise as a BREEAM AP (Advisory Professional).
An annual subscription fee of £250 +VAT is payable for all BREEAM APs on successful completion of the exam. This maintains your Green Book Live listing, provides access to the BREEAM extranet and maintenance of CPD and is a requirement for maintaining your AP status.
Please note the first subscription must be paid within the first 6 months on successful completion of the exam.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace online learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion
Prefer to learn with others?
More BREEAM Courses
BREEAM International New Construction – New Assessor
Delivery of this course is achieved by using a blended learning approach of on-line pre-course materials in the form of digital modules, followed by interactive classroom workshops and examinations.
The Power of Data in Construction
Learn how to save money and co2 with BRE's SMARTWaste sustainability technology in this one-hour online webinar.
BREEAM UK Non-domestic Refurbishment and Fit-out – Existing Assessor
A top up training course for licensed BREEAM UK New Construction assessors to become approved for the UK Non-domestic refurbishment and fit-out scheme.
Passivhaus Introduction and Workshop
The Passivhaus standard is the fastest growing low-energy and comfort standard in the world with over 45,000 buildings realised to date, with many more currently being designed and constructed. Passivhaus buildings have a high level of indoor air quality and can achieve a 75% reduction in space heating requirements compared to the standard practice for UK new-build.