BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings, and addresses construction at all stages. It is the world’s longest established method of assessing, rating and certifying the sustainability of buildings.
This comprehensive training course has been designed to allow suitably experienced construction professionals who have a good knowledge of environmental design and the design process to deliver new construction and refurbishment of buildings to meet BREEAM requirements.
The new BREEAM AP (Advisory Professional) qualification enables you to work across the relevant BREEAM schemes as a recognised sustainability professional and champion. By successfully completing this training course, you will qualify as a BREEAM AP (Design & Site). Candidates who wish to focus on site-based BREEAM activities should take the BREEAM AP (Site) course.
The BREEAM AP pathways and training options are illustrated in this flow chart.
On this course, you will learn the role of the AP and understand what a development needs to do in order to meet BREEAM targets and sustainability goals. You’ll learn how to facilitate project teams to schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate the trade-offs required to achieve the target BREEAM rating when the development is formally assessed.
On completion of this training course, you’ll be eligible to apply for a BREEAM AP subscription. As a BREEAM AP, you can help and advise developments to achieve up to six BREEAM credits (dependent on the types of schemes).
The qualification and annual membership recognise an individual’s ability to provide expert advice on how projects should achieve their sustainability goals and performance.
After successfully completing this course, you can become a BREEAM AP (Design & Site) and be able to help a project to achieve its BREEAM targets and maximise opportunities for project performance. Specifically, you will be able to:
- Encourage an integrated design and construction process
- Use BREEAM as a framework to establish, agree and achieve the desired level of sustainability performance for a development
- Provide expert advice to the design team using the principles of environmental sustainability, environmental design and the environmental assessment process
- Offer design advice
- Facilitate the design team’s efforts by providing key input throughout the design process
- Schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate trade-offs
- Target BREEAM rating at formal assessment in the most cost-effective way
- Be able to understand the basics of sustainability on site, both in the correct installation of building components for the optimum environmental performance of the finished building and in minimising impacts from the building site and operations
- Know how to successfully champion sustainability onsite, including how to involve site workers and the supply chain
- Understand the process of BREEAM certification and know your role within the post-construction stage assessment
- Be able to identify the correct type of evidence required to enable the BREEAM assessor to carry out their assessment
Is it right for me?
This training course is suitable for architects, engineers and others with demonstrable design skills and responsibilities who want to specialise in BREEAM.
You will need to either hold a recognised academic or vocational qualification in a relevant built environment discipline or have at least three years’ post-graduate (or equivalent) professional experience working in a role covering the sustainability of the built environment.
In addition, you should:
- have had team involvement on a number of projects where sustainability was part of the project brief,
- be able to demonstrate knowledge of environmental design/integrated design with an appreciation of life cycle assessment and cost analysis, and,
- be able to demonstrate an ability to manage multiple tasks and have time management skills
If you are interested in taking this course to become a BREEAM AP, then you will be required to submit your CV during the purchase process. BRE Academy will then confirm you meet the requirements.
Licensed BREEAM Assessors are eligible for a discount on this course. Please enter the code BREEAMAP2021 as part of your booking.
We offer 15% discount (for full fee-paying delegates) applicable to all RIBA, CIAT and CIBSE members.
This BREEAM AP training course is delivered in online modules followed by a classroom-based workshop with separate online examination date.
The day and time for the online examination will need to be set by individual trainees directly with ProctorU* for a date that is suitable to both parties.
The online training modules comprise approximately 20 hours of study and cover:
- The role of a BREEAM AP
- Background, principles and scope of BREEAM
- BREEAM categories and assessment methodology
- BREEAM schemes technical content
- Site-specific issues
- Decision timeline
- Decision priorities
- Classroom-based workshop
- After completing the online modules, you will attend a one-day workshop to apply and share your expertise in a series of individual and team exercises.
The workshop classroom day
This event will cover:
- Making a case for sustainability and BREEAM
- Timeline when BREEAM activities need to be completed
- Comparison of BREEAM credits on a cost per percentage point basis
The day and time will need to be arranged directly with ProctorU* at least 72 hours after the classroom event has taken place.
The examination is an ‘open book’ type. You can use any document related to the course to aid you with the examination(s) either in paper format (these can be your own handwritten notes, note cards, etc) or in PDF copies (the latter must be taken directly from the actual course on the BRE.AC Moodle eLearning website).
Sustainability is at the heart of BRE, and we take our impact on the environment very seriously. As part of our concerted effort to reduce our impact we have taken the positive decision to go ‘paperless’. You will be provided with high quality handouts, technical manuals and associated training material, but rather than these being paper based, we will provide your supporting resources electronically in PDF format. Having your training notes in an electronic format is not only good for the environment it also means you can keep your notes on your portable computer/ electronic tablet to use at your convenience to aid you with your training programme. Please note that if you wish, you can bring along your own paper versions to the classroom course and use as a reference point during the examinations but please consider the environment before printing.
A full online version of the BREEAM AP course is also available.
Learners who completed this
After successfully completing the training course, you will be able to apply for your subscription to practise as a BREEAM AP (Design & Site).
An annual subscription fee of £250 + VAT is payable for all BREEAM APs on successful completion of the exam. This maintains your Green Book Live listing, provides access to the BREEAM Extranet and maintenance of CPD and is a requirement for maintaining your AP status.
Please note the first subscription must be paid within the first 6 months on successful completion of the exam.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace online learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion