For Southampton Solent University Only
BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings, and addresses construction at all stages. It is the world’s longest established method of assessing, rating and certifying the sustainability of buildings.
This comprehensive training course has been designed to allow suitably experienced construction professionals who have a good knowledge of environmental design and the design process to deliver new construction and refurbishment of buildings to meet BREEAM requirements.
The new BREEAM AP (Advisory Professional) qualification enables you to work across the relevant BREEAM schemes as a recognised sustainability professional and champion. By successfully completing this training course, you will qualify as a BREEAM AP.
On this course, you will learn the role of the AP and understand what a development needs to do in order to meet BREEAM targets and sustainability goals. You’ll learn how to facilitate project teams to schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate the trade-offs required to achieve the target BREEAM rating when the development is formally assessed.
On completion of this training course, you’ll be eligible to apply for a BREEAM AP subscription. As a BREEAM AP, you can help and advise developments to achieve up to six BREEAM credits (dependent on the types of schemes).
The qualification and annual membership recognise an individual’s ability to provide expert advice on how projects should achieve their sustainability goals and performance.
After successfully completing this course, you can become a BREEAM AP (Design & Site) and be able to help a project to achieve its BREEAM targets and maximise opportunities for project performance. Specifically, you will be able to:
- Encourage an integrated design and construction process
- Use BREEAM as a framework to establish, agree and achieve the desired level of sustainability performance for a development
- Provide expert advice to the design team using the principles of environmental sustainability, environmental design and the environmental assessment process
- Offer design advice
- Facilitate the design team’s efforts by providing key input throughout the design process
- Schedule activities, set priorities and negotiate trade-offs
- Target BREEAM rating at formal assessment in the most cost-effective way
- Be able to understand the basics of sustainability on site, both in the correct installation of building components for the optimum environmental performance of the finished building and in minimising impacts from the building site and operations
- Know how to successfully champion sustainability onsite, including how to involve site workers and the supply chain
- Understand the process of BREEAM certification and know your role within the post-construction stage assessment
- Be able to identify the correct type of evidence required to enable the BREEAM assessor to carry out their assessment
Is it right for me?
This training course is suitable for architects, engineers and others with demonstrable design skills and responsibilities who want to specialise in BREEAM.
You will need to either hold a recognised academic or vocational qualification in a relevant built environment discipline or have at least three years’ post-graduate (or equivalent) professional experience working in a role covering the sustainability of the built environment.
In addition, you should:
- have had team involvement on a number of projects where sustainability was part of the project brief,
- be able to demonstrate knowledge of environmental design/integrated design with an appreciation of life cycle assessment and cost analysis, and,
- be able to demonstrate an ability to manage multiple tasks and have time management skills
If you are interested in taking this course to become a BREEAM AP, then please email your CV with a cover letter to BRE. BRE Academy will then confirm you meet the requirements.
Licensed BREEAM Assessors are eligible for a discount on this course. Please enter the code BREEAMAP2020 as part of your booking.
We offer 15% discount (for full fee-paying delegates) applicable to all RIBA, CIAT and CIBSE members.
This BREEAM AP training course is delivered in online modules followed by a classroom-based workshop and examination.
The online training modules cover:
- Module 1 – BREEAM overview, basics of BREEAM and roles within the scheme, its aims and principles, scope of assessments and history timeline
- Module 2 – looks at key issues within BREEAM UK New Construction
- Module 3 – looks at key issues within BREEAM International New Construction
- Module 4 – looks at site-based work during construction
- Module 5 – more detailed review on:
- Roles and responsibilities
- Sustainable construction
- How BREEAM works
- Design team responsibilities
- Basic approach for BREEAM assessments
- Whole-life Value; Collaboration; Importance of Timing
- Relationship between the different BREEAM schemes
- Comparison of costs per percentage point basis
- BREEAM PI Insurance
- Module 6 – associated information documentation
- Examination information
In order to become a BREEAM AP, you will need to pass an online 60-minute multiple-choice examination at the end of the online modules.
A classroom version of the BREEAM AP course is also available.
Learners who completed this
After successfully completing the training course, you will be able to apply for your subscription to practise as a BREEAM AP (Design & Site).
An annual subscription fee of £250 + VAT is payable for all BREEAM APs on successful completion of the exam. This maintains your Green Book Live listing, provides access to the BREEAM Extranet and maintenance of CPD and is a requirement for maintaining your AP status.
Please note the first subscription must be paid within the first 6 months on successful completion of the exam.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace online learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion
More BREEAM Courses
BREEAM International New Construction New Assessor Online
Successful completion of this 46 hour long fully online course qualifies participants in BREEAM International New Construction and, once licensed as an assessor, enables them to assess projects and provide a sustainability rating.
BREEAM International New Construction – New Assessor (classroom)
Delivery of this course is achieved by using a blended learning approach of on-line pre-course materials in the form of digital modules, followed by interactive classroom workshops and examinations.
Certified European Passive House Designer (virtual classroom)
This qualification is recognised as the industry standard for those intending to work professionally as a Passive House Designer in the UK and Abroad.
BREEAM Communities (classroom)
This 3 day course is broken down into two modules. The first module (day one) is an introduction and overview of BREEAM Communities 2012.