BREEAM In-Use is a scheme used to assess environmental impacts and sustainability issues relating to existing buildings worldwide and has already been used in over 25 countries.
It is designed to reduce the running costs of buildings and improve their environmental and sustainability credentials by identifying areas for improvement. Buildings with a BREEAM Outstanding rating will need to undertake a BREEAM In-Use assessment, to maintain this rating.
This online training course gives an introduction to the In-Use scheme, the assessment methodology and the certification process, together with evidence-gathering and quality assurance. It equips you to become a Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor.
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Apply for Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor status on completion
- Understand the principles of BREEAM and the context for BREEAM In-Use
- Use the BREEAM In-Use calculation tool
- Carry out the assessment methodology
- Gather sufficient evidence needed for the BREEAM IN-Use process
- Understand the audit verification process
- Understand the certification process
Is it right for me?
This training course is specifically designed for built environment professionals that have a background either as an Assessor in a BRE Global Scheme, or those with a background in the management and operation of the buildings.
To become a BREEAM In-Use assessor you need to complete the online learning and pass the online examination and take out a BREEAM In-Use licence. To become licensed, assessors are required to hold professional indemnity insurance.
There are two possible entry routes for this course.
Route 1: Currently qualified BRE Global licensed assessor of one of the following schemes:
- All BREEAM schemes
- Code for Sustainable Homes
- Fire Risk Assessor
- Energy Assessor
Route 2: Those with at least two years full time experience (within the last five years) in one or more of the following professions:
- Building surveying
- Building regulatory (control) services
- Facilities management
- Product or manufacturing auditing
- Certification experience
- Environmental/energy background
This is a comprehensive online training course delivered in modules:
- The background to BREEAM and the context for BREEAM In-Use
- The assessment methodology
- The roles in BREEAM In-Use
- The certification process
- Evidence gathering
- Audit verification
- Scheme rules
- Quality assurance
- Candidates will apply and share their expertise in a series of individual and team exercises
- 60-minute online BREEAM In-Use examination
Learners who completed this
On successful completion of the course and the examinations you’ll be issued with a notification that verifies your BREEAM Assessor qualification. You’ll then be eligible to apply to BRE Global Ltd to become a Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor. You must make this application within 12 months of completing the course.
To practice as a Licensed BREEAM Assessor you’re required to pay an annual licence fee and hold adequate levels of professional insurance, particularly professional indemnity insurance. Further information on the route to becoming a licenced BREEAM Assessor can be found at www.breeam.com
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion
More BREEAM Courses
BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment – Existing Assessor
An online training course followed by a half day exam session for existing BRE Global licensed BREEAM, EcoHomes or Code for Sustainable Homes Assessors who wish to add the BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment scheme to their qualification.
The Power of Data in Construction
Learn how to save money and co2 with BRE's SMARTWaste sustainability technology in this one-hour online webinar.
Future operational excellence through the implementation of BREEAM In-Use
This webinar will provide an awareness to BREEAM In-Use, how this can benefit the industry and discuss the future update and its potential impact on users.
Tips & Tricks to master Mat 01 for BREEAM 2018 from One Click LCA
This webinar provides an introduction to the new life cycle assessment issues (Mat 01 and Mat 02) in BREEAM UK New Construction 2018.