BREEAM In-Use is a scheme used to assess environmental impacts and sustainability issues relating to existing buildings worldwide and has already been used in over 25 countries.
It is designed to reduce the running costs of buildings and improve their environmental and sustainability credentials by identifying areas for improvement. Buildings with a BREEAM Outstanding rating will need to undertake a BREEAM In-Use assessment, to maintain this rating.
This online training course gives an introduction to the In-Use scheme, the assessment methodology and the certification process, together with evidence-gathering and quality assurance. It equips you to become a Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor.
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Apply for Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor status on completion
- Understand the principles of BREEAM and the context for BREEAM In-Use
- Use the BREEAM In-Use calculation tool
- Carry out the assessment methodology
- Gather sufficient evidence needed for the BREEAM IN-Use process
- Understand the audit verification process
- Understand the certification process
Is it right for me?
This training course is specifically designed for built environment professionals that have a background either as an Assessor in a BRE Global Scheme, or those with a background in the management and operation of the buildings.
To become a BREEAM In-Use assessor you need to complete the online learning and pass the online examination and take out a BREEAM In-Use licence. To become licensed, assessors are required to hold professional indemnity insurance.
There are two possible entry routes for this course.
Route 1: Currently qualified BRE Global licensed assessor of one of the following schemes:
- All BREEAM schemes
- Code for Sustainable Homes
- Fire Risk Assessor
- Energy Assessor
Route 2: Those with at least two years full time experience (within the last five years) in one or more of the following professions:
- Building surveying
- Building regulatory (control) services
- Facilities management
- Product or manufacturing auditing
- Certification experience
- Environmental/energy background
This is a comprehensive online training course delivered in modules:
- The background to BREEAM and the context for BREEAM In-Use
- The assessment methodology
- The roles in BREEAM In-Use
- The certification process
- Evidence gathering
- Audit verification
- Scheme rules
- Quality assurance
- Candidates will apply and share their expertise in a series of individual and team exercises
- 60-minute online BREEAM In-Use examination
Learners who completed this
On successful completion of the course and the examinations you’ll be issued with a notification that verifies your BREEAM Assessor qualification. You’ll then be eligible to apply to BRE Global Ltd to become a Licensed BREEAM In-Use Assessor. You must make this application within 12 months of completing the course.
To practice as a Licensed BREEAM Assessor you’re required to pay an annual licence fee and hold adequate levels of professional insurance, particularly professional indemnity insurance. Further information on the route to becoming a licenced BREEAM Assessor can be found at www.breeam.com
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Flexible access – learn from your office or your home
- Own-pace learning – pause, replay as you wish
- CPD certificate on completion
More BREEAM Courses
BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment – Existing Assessor
An online training course followed by a half day exam session for existing BRE Global licensed BREEAM, EcoHomes or Code for Sustainable Homes Assessors who wish to add the BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment scheme to their qualification.
Mat 01 Explained
BREEAM In-Use International and UK Assessor (classroom)
BREEAM In-Use is designed to help building managers and owners reduce the running costs and improve the environmental performance of existing buildings. The scheme uses an assessment tool that can be completed by building managers and owners to self-assess their buildings. These self-assessments have to be audited by independent BREEAM In-Use assessors before certification can be granted.
BREEAM UK New Construction – Existing Assessor
An examination for existing BREEAM Non Domestic assessors who wish to add additional standard BREEAM schemes to their qualification.