The gap between predicted and actual energy performance of new buildings is acknowledged to be significant. To help close the energy performance gap, BREEAM New Construction 2018 propose to award additional credits for more detailed energy prediction and verification of actual performance. The gap between predicted and actual energy performance of new buildings is acknowledged to be significant with recent studies, showing that actual energy performance is often 2 to10 times higher than that determined by compliance calculations carried out at the design stage. To tackle this a BREEAM prediction and verification methodology has been developed which aims to encourage all those involved in the building design, construction, commissioning, facilities management and operation to take steps to close the energy performance gap. This webinar explains how the new methodology incentivises more detailed energy modelling and reward more accurate predictions of energy use at early stages to support better design and construction of new buildings.
The methodology involves:
- Undertaking more comprehensive and accurate modelling of energy use at the design stage, including modelling alternative scenarios
- Determining energy performance targets based on adequate modelling
- Measuring actual energy performance on a comparable basis
- Comparing predicted and actual energy performance at a disaggregated level to identify where the performance gaps lie.
- Identifying specific actions to reduce the gap
- Providing a basis for continuous monitoring and improvement of energy performance
- Promoting a wider uptake of energy performance benchmarking
Whist the prediction element and commitment to verification are rewarded within BREEAM New Construction, the measurement of actual energy performance and comparison to the target energy performance set at the prediction stage will be recognised by additional credits under a separate scheme.
More BREEAM Courses
CEEQUAL Projects Assessor (virtual classroom)
CEEQUAL is the sustainability assessment, rating and awards scheme developed by the Institution of Civil Engineers for civil engineering, infrastructure, landscaping and the public realm.
Future operational excellence through the implementation of BREEAM In-Use
This webinar will provide an awareness to BREEAM In-Use, how this can benefit the industry and discuss the future update and its potential impact on users.
Introduction to BREEAM
This 2 hour online course forms an introduction to BREEAM and covers the background, objectives and value of the BRE’s sustainability assessment certification schemes.