This course covers DSEAR legislation, sources of release, risk assessment and hazardous area zoning for gas and vapour atmospheres and ATEX equipment. Learning exercises and opportunities to discuss and develop the subject matter form an important part of the course.
ATEX (Appareils destinés à être utilisés en ATmosphères EXplosibles) identifies what equipment and work environment is allowed in an explosive atmosphere.
It is the common name given to EU directives aimed at improving the health and safety protection of workers potentially at risk when working in explosive atmospheres.
The UK government’s DSEAR (Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres) legislation requires employers to control risks to safety from fire, explosions and substances corrosive to metals.
Day 1: Dust explosion risk assessment and hazardous area training
- Legislation requirements
- What is a dust explosion?
- Hazardous area zoning.
- Risk assessment: Hazard identification, typical ignition sources, evaluation, mitigation measures
Day 2: Gas/vapour explosion and hazardous area zoning
- What is a gas explosion? Gas and vapour explosion/video
- Hazardous area zoning: sources and estimation of release
- Hazardous area zoning: determination of zone
Day 3: Gas explosion risk assessment
- Risk assessment: Hazard identification, typical ignition sources, evaluation, mitigation measures.
- ATEX approved electrical and mechanical equipment
- Typical DSEAR report layout
- Workshop to discuss specific issues/Q&A
Managerial staff or other personnel who are required to undertake risk assessments for potentially explosive dust, gas & vapour atmospheres and meet the ACOP definition of a ‘competent person’ who can verify the risk assessment and zoning.
BRE Academy also runs a 5 day Level 4 Fire Risk Assessor Course.
More Health, Safety & Wellbeing Courses
This short 1 hour course provides a background in airtightness. It covers why airtightness is important from UK Building Regulations and also from energy efficiency and occupant comfort perspectives.
YellowJacket General User
BRE YellowJacket Health and Safety Software - Manages quality, environmental, health and safety performance.
Successful completion of this three day course and workshop will leave attendees able to verify risk assessments and zoning for atmospheres where flammable dust, gas & vapour are present.