What is Fire Modelling?
Fire modelling is used primarily to predict the spread of smoke and heat from fires. BRE pioneered the original development and application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to create fire models that can when expertly used, be powerful design and safety tools.
CFD models predict smoke and heat movement in buildings of any design and, with the advent of performance-based codes, are increasingly used in fire safety engineering.
What is covered?
What is covered in this course?
- Prescriptive, functional and performance-based approaches to meet fire safety requirements (Building Regulations B1 to B5).
- Fire investigation – hypothesis testing
- Design development
- ‘Build and burn’ scale models and full-size reconstruction
- Numerical models
- Constructing a timeline
- ASET – Available Safe Egress Time
- RSET – Required Safe Egress Time
- Building engineers, architects, fire safety engineers/consultancies and regulatory authorities
Having completed this course, you will be able to:
- Understand how fire modelling works
- Appreciate how fire modelling can be used to predict the progress of a fire
- Use fire modelling information effectively
Why not have a look at our other fire courses?
More Coventry University Online Courses
Electrical Safety Awareness
This course provides a general awareness of electrical safety in the workplace and home but it is not designed to give you specific training or competence to carry out electrical work. All work on electrical systems, installations and equipment must be carried out by competent persons.
Fire Modelling for Fire Investigation and the Design of Buildings
This short introductory course will help you understand fire modelling and how it can predict how fires could progress in real-world situations. It does this by using data from real fires in simulated environments, from previous experiments or through using computer models.
BES 6001: Issue 3 Training For Assessors
BIM ISO 19650 Awareness (online)
This course provides an understanding of why BIM as Information Management is a fundamental requirement in delivering change within the AEC Industry.