What is Fire Modelling?
Fire modelling is used primarily to predict the spread of smoke and heat from fires. BRE pioneered the original development and application of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to create fire models that can when expertly used, be powerful design and safety tools.
CFD models predict smoke and heat movement in buildings of any design and, with the advent of performance-based codes, are increasingly used in fire safety engineering.
What is covered?
What is covered in this course?
- Prescriptive, functional and performance-based approaches to meet fire safety requirements (Building Regulations B1 to B5).
- Fire investigation – hypothesis testing
- Design development
- ‘Build and burn’ scale models and full-size reconstruction
- Numerical models
- Constructing a timeline
- ASET – Available Safe Egress Time
- RSET – Required Safe Egress Time
- Building engineers, architects, fire safety engineers/consultancies and regulatory authorities
Having completed this course, you will be able to:
- Understand how fire modelling works
- Appreciate how fire modelling can be used to predict the progress of a fire
- Use fire modelling information effectively
Why not have a look at our other fire courses?
More Coventry University Online Courses
Managing Project Costs
What is BREEAM?
BREEAM is the world’s first and most widely used Environmental Assessment Methodology for the built environment and this 1 hour online course will introduce it in a systematic manner.
Exclusive Online Health and Safety Modules Bundle
BRE has created an exclusive Health and Safety package that incorporates 4 of our most popular online courses. What’s more, the bundle also awards more than 8 hours towards Continuing Professional Development.