Analysis from the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment indicates that the built environment will be increasingly affected by extreme weather events, and that incidence and severity of flooding will increase with higher temperatures, faster winds and changing rainfall patterns.
In support of the DEFRA published Property Flood Resilience Action Plan aimed at increasing the uptake of resilience measures, BRE Academy has partnered with BRE’s Centre for Resilience to create a training course which addresses the fundamentals of flood resilience surveying – including assessing flood risk and the specification of mitigation solutions.
The role of the surveyor is key in the resilience process, and this course will enable the surveyor to:
- Assess the flood risk to the property; including the type(s) of flood risk involved, the likely maximum depth, the duration and extent of flood risk.
- Survey the flood affected property, or property considered to be at risk from flooding; and prepare a report that details measures considered to be most effective to increase the property resilience for future flooding events.
- Upload relevant information to the Property Flood Resilience Database; and log actions taken to increase resilience.
The course will support the implementation and recognition of standards, certifications and skills to provide reassurance that property flood resilience has been approached in the correct manner and to a high standard.
- An introduction to flood resilience
- Surveying methodology
- Building elements
- Ageing properties, elements and amenities
- Non-traditional and modern methods of construction
- External fabric: how to identify flood water entry points
- Internal fabric and services: flood water entry and damage
- Community resilience
- Building construction and material
- Flood assessment – drivers, legislation and process
- Flood assessment – sources, hazards and reporting
- Resistance measures
- Resilience measures
- Community measures
- Use of the property flood resilience database
- Report writing
Have a look at our other flood resilience and protection online courses.
Do you need to purchase for multiple delegates? Click here.
More Flood Resilience Courses
Establishing a Shift Towards a Resilient Built Environment
This 1 hour recorded webinar discusses the shift towards a built environment that can be resilient enough to manage the impact of flooding on the UK, some of the gaps as well as actions the industry is taking to fill these gaps.
An Introduction to Flood Resilience
In this 1 hour recorded webinar we will explain where floodwater can come from, and how the challenges of different flooding types impact infrastructure in various ways.
Flood Resilience and the Impact of Construction Practices
This webinar evaluates building construction type and the impact of flooding on this. It looks at how this may influence the future of house construction.
Flood Resilience: Building Elements
In this module, we will be looking at the different building elements in construction and how these relate to flood resilience.