Analysis from the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment indicates that the built environment will be increasingly affected by extreme weather events, and that incidence and severity of flooding will increase with higher temperatures, faster winds and changing rainfall patterns.
In support of the DEFRA published Property Flood Resilience Action Plan aimed at increasing the uptake of resilience measures, BRE Academy has partnered with BRE’s Centre for Resilience to create a training course which addresses the fundamentals of flood resilience surveying – including assessing flood risk and the specification of mitigation solutions.
The role of the surveyor is key in the resilience process, and this course will enable the surveyor to:
- Assess the flood risk to the property; including the type(s) of flood risk involved, the likely maximum depth, the duration and extent of flood risk.
- Survey the flood-affected property, or property considered to be at risk from flooding and prepare a report that details measures considered to be most effective to increase the property resilience for future flooding events.
- Upload relevant information to the Property Flood Resilience Database and log actions taken to increase resilience.
The course will support the implementation and recognition of standards, certifications and skills to provide reassurance that property flood resilience has been approached in the correct manner and to a high standard.
- An introduction to flood resilience
- Surveying methodology
- Building elements
- Ageing properties, elements and amenities
- Non-traditional and modern methods of construction
- External fabric: how to identify floodwater entry points
- Internal fabric and services: flood water entry and damage
- Community resilience
- Building construction and material
- Flood assessment – drivers, legislation and process
- Flood assessment – sources, hazards and reporting
- Resistance measures
- Resilience measures
- Community measures
- Use of the property flood resilience database
- Report writing
Have a look at our other flood resilience and protection online courses.
More Flood Resilience Courses
Flood Resilience: Flood Risk Assessment – Part 2
In this module, we will be looking at the different aspects of flood risk assessment, including key sources of information and how this should be reported to clients.
Flood Resilience: Insurance
This is a stand-alone training module which forms part of the BRE Property Flood Surveyor Training Course.
Flood Resilience: Non-traditional Housing and Modern Methods of Construction
This is a standalone training module which forms part of the BRE Property Flood Surveyor Training Course.
Flood Resilience: Flood Risk Assessment – Part 1
In this module we will be looking at the different requirements around legislation, and key policy that is relevant for flooding in the UK. This will also review the assessment process for Flood Risk Assessment.