The Passive fire protection Level 3 Foundation is offered in partnership with the Association of Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP) and has been developed by ASFP and the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE). It provides essential knowledge and understanding in this key fire protection specialism.
This comprehensive course offers a foundation in fire safety and fire science as well as units on different forms of passive fire protection. The course content follows current best practices and will equip you with the knowledge required to demonstrate competency, while also offering a route for progression and academic recognition in the specialism.
This training course is the first of its kind in the UK and Ireland to enable candidates to study to obtain a recognised qualification in passive fire protection.
After successfully completing this training course, to achieve the Level 3 Foundation certificate, your newly acquired knowledge will be thoroughly tested through an independent examination held at an IFE approved assessment centre (additional charges may apply).
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of fire science
- Demonstrate understanding of methods of active protection
- Demonstrate understanding of the following passive fire protection measures:
- Fire protection to the structural frame of the building and fire-retardant coatings
- Fire resisting walls, floors and ceiling and fire-resistant glazing
- Fire stopping, penetration seals, cavity barriers, ductwork and dampers and the building envelope
- Fire resisting doors, industrial shutters and hardware
Is it right for me?
This qualification is appropriate for individuals directly engaged in passive fire protection. It’s also suitable for those who need to develop an understanding of passive fire safety systems essential to the delivery of their roles such as managers and technical supervisors working in passive fire protection roles, technical sales staff, designers, fire risk assessors and site inspectors.
There are no formal entry requirements.
If you’re a member of ASFP, we offer a reduced fee of £1,925 + VAT to attend this training course. Please contact us for a code.
Module 1: Essential underpinning knowledge, fire science
Module 2: Installation of Passive Fire Protection:
- Unit 1 – Fire protection to the structural frame of the building, fire-retardant coatings
- Unit 2 – Fire resisting walls, floors and ceiling and fire-resistant glazing
- Unit 3 – Fire stopping, penetration seals, cavity barriers, ductwork and dampers and the building envelope
- Unit 4 – Fire resisting doors, industrial shutters and hardware
Module 3: Understanding active fire protection
Module 4: Understanding building regulations, approved documentation, regulatory guidance, CDM, CE marking and codes of practice, and Building Information Modelling
Delegates are required to undertake all four modules of study. Significant additional self-study is recommended.
Note: Following the completion of the training, your assessment will be via a three-hour written examination undertaken at an IFE approved assessment centre. Examinations take place every March and October and will need to be booked via the IFE website. Additional charges may be levied.
Learners who completed this
After successfully achieving the Passive fire protection Level 3 Foundation you’ll be able to build on your learning and progress to qualifications at Level 4. Alternatively, you might choose to supplement your knowledge with one of our dedicated one-day fire safety training courses.
- Designed and led by industry experts
- Comprehensive course notes and materials
- Lunch included and refreshments always available
- Small class sizes
- Free on-site parking and easy motorway access
- CPD certificate on completion
The Foundation Course in Passive Fire Protection offered in partnership with the Association of Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP) provides essential knowledge and understanding in this key fire protection specialism.
Let us come to you
Like this course, and think it’d be great for your team? We’ll deliver any of our courses at your office, or create a course just for you. Talk to us to ensure your team get the expert training they need.
More Fire Courses
Why Do Design Fires Matter?
A video recording of Carl Sherwood presenting at the BRE Fire Conference in Watford in 2015.
Fire Door Inspection (online)
Inspection of fire doors is vital to ensure their robustness and integrity is achieved and maintained. A thorough inspection is required to verify that the door and its hardware have been installed correctly and meets the proper standard of protection.
Fire Risk Assessor Level 4 Diploma
This 5 day course will equip you with the tools and knowledge to complete fire risk assessments of all but the most complex buildings.
Sprinkler Systems In Housing In Wales
A video recording of Dr Corinne Williams presenting at the BRE Fire Conference in Watford in 2016.