Online Learning (up to 10 hours) and 1 day Workshop/Examination.
It is essential that learners complete the online training before attending the classroom training. The examination is based on both the online and classroom training.
An SSM has a focus on sustainability on the construction site. Their main responsibility is to support the achievement of the sustainability design aspirations of the project at the construction, handover and close out stages, including the target BREEAM rating. SSMs are the champions of sustainability on site and ensure environmental site impacts are minimised. For BREEAM assessed projects, the involvement of a qualified SSM provides the opportunity to earn a BREEAM credit in the Management section, and further credits can be achieved by monitoring and limiting site impacts.
To qualify as a Site Sustainability Manager candidates will have to undertake pre-course online training and then attend a 1 day classroom training course.
There is a multiple-choice exam at the end of the classroom training course.
The pre-course online training covers the basics of sustainability on the construction site, including bridging the performance gap at the construction stage, basic issues that can affect environmental performance, infrared thermography, airtightness, and an overview of the most used environmental performance assessment tools.
The classroom training specifically covers the role of the SSM, including helping to deliver the target BREEAM rating, reducing site impacts (waste, energy, water, local impacts), useful tools and actions to ensure the SSM’s success.
By the end of the training course, you will:
- Be able to understand the basics of sustainability on site, both in the correct installation of building components for an optimum environmental performance of the finished building, and in minimising impacts from the building site and operations;
- Know what causes a performance gap between design and construction of buildings and how to spot potential issues during the construction, handover and close out stages that might widen this gap;
- Understand the principles of infrared thermography;
- Understand how to achieve an airtight building, avoiding gaps and achieving a better performing fabric;
- Understand the process of BREEAM certification and know your role within the post-construction stage assessment;
- Be able to identify the correct type of evidence required to enable the BREEAM assessor to carry out their assessment;
- Understand how Building Information Management (BIM) can support your work onsite and enable better sustainability outcomes;
- Know how to successfully champion sustainability onsite, including how to involve site workers and the supply chain.
In order to claim the BREEAM credits featuring a Sustainability Champion you must be qualified and keep up to date with sustainability matters and BREEAM developments (Please note other criteria apply to claim the full credit).
One way of demonstrating competence for this role is through the SSM qualification. After passing the exam, you will need to demonstrate ongoing competence in sustainability matters through a minimum of 15 hours CPD each year. To badge yourself as an ‘active’ Site Sustainability Manager for the purpose of BREEAM, you will also need to be listed on GreenBookLive.com.
The BRE Academy offers a package of Sustainability Membership and GreenBookLive listing (£99+VAT per annum), which will cover both of these requirements.
Should you want to demonstrate CPD compliance through your membership with another institution, this will be acceptable provided that you obtain approval from BREEAM, but you will still need to be listed on GreenBookLive.com
The course is aimed at site-based managers, and other people who would have the necessary authority to influence activities on the building site.
Let us come to you
Like this course, and think it’d be great for your team? We’ll deliver any of our courses at your office, or create a course just for you. Talk to us to ensure your team get the expert training they need.
More BREEAM Courses
BREEAM UK New Construction 2018 – New Assessor (virtual classroom)
Energy Efficiency Webinar Bundle
4 webinars and 4 hours of CPD on Energy Efficiency from BRE's Energy Experts
This award winning online course is aimed at proactive sustainability teams, who want to work better with BREEAM (the World's leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings) in their normal project role. It’s the perfect introduction to enable individuals to pitch BREEAM in bids and to deliver it effectively in practice.
BREEAM UK New Construction 2018 Existing Assessor (online)
An examination for existing BREEAM Non Domestic assessors who wish to add additional standard BREEAM schemes to their qualification.